Getting bored with the same old pasta and meatballs dinner every week? Try this twist on a classic dish to spice up your meal plan. This recipe makes enough to enjoy for two or three meals or pack up the left overs and take them for lunch. Plan on about 10 minutes of preparation time and approximately 20 minutes of cooking time.
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
2 tbl. flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 can pineapple chunks
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tbl. soy sauce
1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 cups brown rice
- Start cooking the rice according to the directions on the box.
- Meanwhile, mix thoroughly the beef, cracker crumbs, onions, egg, salt, ginger and milk.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and shape the ground beef mixture into balls. Brown and cook (approximately 15 minutes). Remove and keep warm.
- Mix the flour and brown sugar and then stir in the pineapple syrup (placing the pineapple chunks aside), vinegar and soy sauce. Pour into skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and boils. Boil for one minute.
- Add meatballs, pineapple chunks and green peppers. Heat through.
- Serve the meatballs over brown rice and enjoy!
*Recipe makes about 6 servings, approximately 400 calories each. Cost of meal is just about $4.
Pick up ingredients at local farmers markets, or area grocery stores such as Superfresh. And check out the new Grocery Specials section for local sales.