Whether you will be enjoying a brunch and jelly beans or participating in a traditional Seder, eggs play a role in both Easter and Passover celebrations. To make sure your next holiday is an “egg-stra” safe one, GIANT Food Stores is offering several egg handling tips to keep top of mind during your preparations.
· While at the store, choose Grade A or AA eggs with clean, un-cracked shells.
· Take eggs straight home and store them immediately in a refrigerator set at 40 degrees F or slightly below. Be sure to keep them in the grocery carton and store in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door.
· Don’t eat raw eggs.
· Use raw shell eggs within 3 to 5 weeks of purchase. Hard-boiled eggs will keep refrigerated for 7-10 days.
· Wash hands, utensils, dishes, and work areas with warm, soapy water before and after contact with eggs.
· Don’t keep any eggs out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. Eggs kept at room temperature for more than two hours become susceptible to bacterial growth.
· Eggs should be cooked thoroughly until yolks are firm. For hard-boiled eggs, cover eggs in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover and then let stand for a half hour.
· When coloring hard-boiled eggs, check and make sure there are no cracks. If you plan to eat your dyed eggs, use food coloring or specially made food-grade egg dyes. Discard any eggs that crack during dyeing or have not been refrigerated for more than two hours.
· If roasting an egg for your Passover Seder, first hard-boil it, then using tongs, hold it over a gas burner or candle flame.
If you prefer the chocolate variety when it comes to eggs, GIANT is also sharing a fun recipe for their chocolate peanut butter eggs!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- 1 ½ cups GIANT brand creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup GIANT brand butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon GIANT brand vanilla extract
- 3 cups GIANT brand powdered sugar
- 12 ounces GIANT brand semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons GIANT brand vegetable oil (use only enough to create smooth chocolate)
Mix peanut butter, butter, vanilla & powdered sugar together until smooth. Refrigerate overnight. Shape into eggs. Melt the chips with either the microwave or double boiler. Add oil if chocolate is not smooth. Dip eggs using toothpicks. Place on wax paper and put back in fridge until the chocolate sets.
Makes 24 eggs.
For additional food safety tips or recipe ideas for your Easter or Passover celebrations, please visit giantfoodstores.com.