On the fifth day of its “12 Days of Giving” holiday campaign, Walmart awarded $120,000 to 14 nonprofits “that are creating a better future for children across the country,” according to a news release.
The Greater Philadelphia Diaper Bank, based in Richboro, was awarded $5,000 from Walmart Friday for its initiative. The Diaper Bank is a non-profit that holds diaper drives to help needy families and individuals in the region by partnering with shelters, food pantries and similar organizations.
"There is a hole in the 'safety net'," said Pat Kennedy, president and founder of the Diaper Bank, in an email. "You can't buy diapers with food stamps; WIC doesn't provide diapers and Medicare only provides diapers for those in hospice."
Since March, 2011 The Diaper Bank has distributed over 280,000 adult and children's diapers to 26 partners. And there's a waiting list to get on. So what will Kennedy do with the donation: "We will buy diapers."
This is the second year from the Walmart campaign.
“Building a better tomorrow starts with our children, yet 22 percent of kids in the U.S. live in poverty,” said Sylvia Mathews Burwell, president of the Walmart Foundation. “Through education, nourishment, mentorship, clothing and shelter, the organizations honored today are helping children community by community achieve a brighter future.”
Walmart’s November call for submissions resulted in more than 21,677 nominations from Facebook users who submitted descriptions of each nonprofit’s impact in its local community.
You can donate to The Greater Philadelphia Diaper Bank on its website. Here are a list of partners it servies in the area:
- Bucks County Area Agency on Aging www.buckscounty.org
- Casa del Pueblo Ministry of Lehman UMC www.lehmanumc.org
- Child, Home & Community www.chinfo.org
- Point Pleasant Specialty Care www.pointpleasantcare.com
- The Bucks County Housing Group, Inc. www.bch.org
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network of the Main Line www.ihncares.org
- Family Service Association of Bucks County www.fsabc.org
- Catholic Social Services Norristown/Montgomery County Services Center
- ActionAids www.actionaids.org
- Black Women’s Health Alliance www.pbwha.org
- Circle of Care www.circleofcarephilly.org
- Dignity Housing www.dignityhousing.org
- Health Federation of Philadelphia www.healthfederationofphiladelphia.org
- KenCrest www.kencrest.org
- MOMobile/Maternity Care Coalition www.momobile.org
- Tabor Children’s Services www.tabor.org
- The Interfaith Hospitality Network of Northwest Philadelphia www.philashelter.org
- Youth Services www.ysiphila.org
- Nehemiah Tabernacle, Inc. www.nehemiahtabernacle.org
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – Family Care Center
- The Church of the Redeemer Baptist www.thechurchoftheredeemerbaptist.org
- The Center for Leadership, Development and Advocacy, Inc. www.rhd.org
- Special People In Northeast, Inc. Frankford www.spininc.org
- Turning Points for Children www.turningpointsforchildren.org
- Camden County Division of Senior and Disabled Services www.camdencounty.org
- Clothes From the Heart/Sacred Heart Camden www.sacredheartcamden.org
- The Sisterhood, Inc. www.bch.org