Oct. 8: Celebrate Columbus Day Today
Here are five things to know today.
1. Today is Columbus Day a nationally recognized federal holiday. While it is an opportunity for some to sleep in on a Monday, the holiday itself is also interesting, and a great time to celebrate and shop. Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
2. Have your kids join in for On My Own Story Time at 2:30 p.m. Preschool aged kids can enjoy stories while their parents are nearby.
3. Zoning Hearing Board Meeting is tonight at 7 p.m.
4. Enjoy PumpkinFest at Shady Brook Farm. Tickets are $12, but you can download a $4 off coupon on the event page.
5. Weather: Today is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high near 59 degrees and this evening will be mostly clear with a low around 39 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.