This Hanukkah try a sweet potato variation of classic latkes. The spices are slightly different from a regular potato latke, but the process is the same. It's a simple, delicious way to jazz up your holiday meal.
2 medium yellow onions
3 Yukon gold potatoes
3 sweet potatoes
2 tbl. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. kosher salt
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Grate the onions and potatoes into a large bowl, grating down the length of the potato to get long strands.
- Wring out any access liquid.
- Toss the mixture with the flour, salt and cayenne then stir in the egg.
- Warm 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into the skillet, pressing lightly to form pancakes.
- Cook, turning once, until golden. Enjoy!
Recipe yields about 8 latkes.