Potato latkes are a crowd pleaser at any holiday gathering. Plan to spend about 45 minutes from start to finish preparing this dish. The recipe can easily be doubled if you're expecting a crowd.
1 lb. potatoes
½ cup onion, finely chopped
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp. salt
½ to ¾ cup olive oil
- Peel potatoes and grate them into a large bowl of cold water to soak. Let them sit for one to two minutes then drain well in a colander.
- Spread potatoes and onions on a paper towel and squeeze them together to wring out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl and stir in the egg and salt.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a non-stick skillet over moderately high heat until the oil is hot, but not smoking. Spoon potato mixture into the skillet, spreading it into pancakes.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook until latkes are browned (about five minutes), then flip them over and brown the other side. Add more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Spread on a paper towel to drain and season with salt.
- Serve with sour cream or applesauce and enjoy!
Recipe yields 12-16 latkes.